Mark B. Hannum Operator of the Year Award
Mark B. Hannum Operator-of-the-Year Award (<2 MGD & >2 MGD)
Description: These awards recognize operators that exemplifies the highest qualities and integrity of the water quality profession. This award is in memory of Mark B. Hannum, past president of PWEA (2006-2007) and Director of Operation and Maintenance of the Allegheny County Sanitary Authority (ALCOSAN). Mark was highly regarded and respected by water quality professional on the local, state and federal levels.
Award Criteria: The award recipient will be selected based not just on the operation and maintenance of their facility but on their contribution to the water quality profession.
Categories: Awards will be presented in two categories. The Large Plant (greater than 2.0 MGD - design) and the Small Plant (2.0 MGD or less - design).
Eligibility: The nominee must be a certified water, wastewater or collection system operator for the last ten (10) consecutive years. They must be a member of PWEA both at the time of nomination and presentation of the award. An operator may only receive this award once.
Nomination Process: The Professional Operator Committee will review all nominations and will send a recommendation(s) to the Awards Committee; the Awards Committee is responsible for making final selection of award recipient.
The following information must be included in the nomination packet for each Operator of the Year candidate. Please limit your submission to no more than five (5) pages.
- A completed PWEA Awards Nomination Form.
- Additional Nominee Information: a) name and address of the plant and/or collection system, b) position held by the nominee, and c) their certification Class and Subclass.
- Facility Description as appropriate: type of plant or system, degree of treatment, capacity, description of their system, receiving waters, flow diagram, pump stations and collection system maintained by plant personnel. Clearly identify the facility's design capacity.
- Facility Operation: operation program, testing, personnel, budget, records, etc.
- Information about the Nominee: The nominator must provide a narrative to document how the nominee qualifies for this award. Possible topics for the narrative include: how the nominee demonstrates ingenuity, proficiency, major contributions to operations, innovation, etc.
- Activities of the nominee, such as: PWEA or Section volunteerism, certifications, education and training, public relations, how they have given back to the water quality profession.